2022-04-19 16:41:14 -0600
A Soft Touch: Styling Pillows
Cozy corners are a must. One foolproof way to get things feeling comfy at home? Add a plush pillow or two (or three, or four…) to your space. That being said, too many pillows can look a little, well…overstuffed, while too few can easily feel more slapdash than snug.
We’re here to help. We’ve pulled together a couple of our favorite ideas for getting the perfect pillow “look” — whether you like to surround yourself with a veritable fort of them, or you’re more of a one-and-done kind of person.
Read on for our tips on creating the perfect reading nook, dreamy bedroom, or playfully plush nursery with our Throw Pillow Covers and Shape Pillows.
IN THE LIVING ROOM
Whether you’re looking to add a little “oomph” to your couch, chair, or even (lucky you) a chaise lounge, just keep the following rules in mind:
- Mix and Match (Or Don’t)
- Using your room’s color scheme as a guide, pick your base shades. From there, you could keep things tonal or try pairing more neutral hues with a pop of color or a versatile print (like Graph).
- That’s the Size of It
- In addition to trying out different color palettes and patterns, you can add visual interest by varying your pillows’ sizes. Layer bigger and smaller pillows for more depth.
- Good Odds
- When it comes to the number of pillows, if you’re working with a standard couch, 5 is a good starting point; scale up or down for more or less seating. Bonus tip: avoid symmetry — odd numbers look best visually.
IN THE BEDROOM
Looking to set the stage for a restful night of sleep? Creating the right environment to doze off in isn’t just about white noise machines and thread count — it’s also about designing a space that feels soothing and inviting.
- Layer Up
- Styling the bed of your dreams means creating a look with depth. To achieve that, try layering pillows in the same color family, but focus on different textures and prints.
Less is More
When in doubt, scale back. Instead of piling on the pillows, keep things pared down to create a sleek, minimal look that feels effortlessly elevated.
It Takes All Kinds
- The sizing rules that applied to your living room space hold true in the bedroom, too. Variation is pleasing to the eye, so choose a base size and add bigger or smaller pillows to break things up.
IN THE NURSERY
This is the time to let your imagination shine; our goal here is to create a sense of joy, comfort, and movement. Bonus points: get your littles involved in the decorating process!
- Pillow Talk
- A couple of pillows in the crib or on the floor will help a room feel cozy and complete — just don’t forget to remove any pillows from the crib before putting baby down for a nap.
- Top Things Off
- Add a Shape Pillow to keep things whimsical. Embrace your playful side with a fun accent shape (a cloud with a square), add a loving note (hearts for Valentine’s Day), or set the mood for sleep (a star and moon).
- A Soft Touch
- From us to you — don’t forget to add their favorite stuffies to the mix. They’re cute, soft, and will go a long way towards making sure it feels like their space.
Pillows add a comfy, dreamy vibe wherever you use them. They’re a great way to express personal style and create a sense of luxurious relaxation. Whether you’re looking for a more traditional square or rectangle pillow or something a little more whimsical, they’re the perfect accent in any room.
But let’s be clear — there’s also no wrong way to do it. Have fun! These may be the guidelines we keep in mind, but the important thing is to find a look and feel that resonates with you and your home.
PS: We sell pillow covers, but don’t forget about what you might be filling them with. Try using a slightly oversized insert (about 2” bigger than your cover) for a full, comfortably stuffed impression.